Saturday, October 06, 2018

Rose Croft, Brentwood. - 1st March 1973

Dear Old Thing, Cheer up old bean, tings ain't so black as they are painted. Have you tried all the publishing places in London? Even the Trouser Press? I'd only take a job at the B.M. if they let me look after Sam's sketchbooks! I haven't found anything suitable yet, and I seem to be getting money again from the S.S. there's really no rush. Here's an extract from my diary ( all human life is here!) SATURDAY. 24th. Went to Southend. Forgot the train go-slow but luckily the crowded puff-puff reaches the seaside only ten minutes late, but doubting I'll get back on one tonight. A quick butchers around the shops is quite fruitless and I met Bob which was even more so! But after a look in the book shop opposite The Grand he invites me back to his place for tea and a crummy Marilyn Monroe film. Bob got 3 philosophy books that were classics, so he said. That's enough of that! How boring! That night was the gathering of the clans at the Grand and what a gathering it was too! I somehow managed to get myself between E and B who were arguing non-stop all night (strange love/hate relationship they have!) However I did managed to speak to B & L behind the backs of the dynamic duo. I even spoke to D, but only in the toilet! How is your vin? Wasn't it a splendid day on Tuesday. So sunny, like really Spring weather. We all sat on the front doorstep and soaked it up. Lynne and Dinah were particularly pleased as it was their day off due to B.M. strike. The kittens are growing bigger day by day and still sleep in a tight ball under the bed where they wus born. Their eyes should open on Sunday and maybe thet'll venture out into the big bad wild world for the first time. Yes, Ed is sharing with that Richard. They like fighting and arguing. Ed's birthday is on the 29th of Feb. ( there isn't one this year, so hard luck Eddie old fruit!) I enjoyed "Clockwork Urang" when I first read it many moons ago. A couple of other Anthony Burgess books are worth investigating. One written under the nom-de-plume of Joseph Kell called "Inside Mr. Enderby" about a funny chap who writes poems on the toilet, (if you know what I mean?)and the other is science fiction about population control but I've forgotten the title. There was a sad programme on the other night about Mervyn Peake, have you read "Titus Groan"? That's brilliant. N. Dave didn't give me £1.50 , was he supposed too? I bet he spent it on his fancy woman! Bill did his best to annoy me yesterday - bringing half his van into my room and spreading the bits all over the floor! He cursed and burbled all day long and left a trail of oily prints over everything! Tut! tut! I went to the humpty-dump last night as it was lighter and less muddy. Quite interestin' finds too. Lots of old woman's mags from the 30's and 40's and similar knitting and needlework mags, hilarious pictures! Also old postcards and weird books - "The Aberdeen jew" and "Forty Wonderful Years" ( about England from 1898 and 1938 in pictures ) Best of all though is a splendid ciggy card album of "The Homelands" and cats and dogs (hand tinted ) "With content and merriment. Their days are spent whose minds are bent, to follow the useful plough" Your old farmer friend, Bent Beewangler.

No comments: