Thursday, September 27, 2018

Rose Croft , Brentwood, Essex - 25th June 1973

Dear C & R, Thankyou so much for the splendid Birthday present. I can't wait to begin making it. How ingenius you all are! It arrived a little bent and crumpled, but nothing too serious. I suppose one must expect such things when it comes all the way from the land of the elephants, tied to a giraffe, pigmy and ostrich ( G. P.O. ) ! And a letter too. It's so nice to have money to jangle in my pocketses once again now that I am a man of employed status. How good to pay my bills on time and not worry where the next penny is to come from. I'd rather earn a living at doing the things I like best of course, but it's only for a while, then a well deserved holiday. The fellows I work with are amusing characters and friendly once you get to know them. Your mud hut industries sounds jolly fine, where do you get all your materials from though, out there in the jungle? Don't you get homesick at all for the 'old country' ? You've been out there nearly two years now haven't you? I know I would be. I went to the Slade Post-Grad private view last week. It was overso boring - except for a few things. My friend , who was at Southend and then Falmouth, Tony Eve had some lovely things there. He makes amusing objects to do with animals, mostly pigeons, crows and mice. Little race tracks and games for them to play and also moving things. Outside he had a sculpture, that when it rained it tipped water into canvas bags, rather like those perpetual motion birdies. Better than I describe them. Thanks again for the roundabout, it's lovely. Best wishes from Michael Maggot-finder.

No comments: