Thursday, September 27, 2018

Rose Croft, Brentwood, Essex. - 22nd February 1972

Dear C & R, Thankyou for including me in your delightful letter, I certainly did not expect it as I hardly know you both. And as for not including me in your Christmas presents, well that's quite ridiculous! I think Lynne must have laid it on a bit thick! I like the photographs, where's all de lions and elephants though? The one of the artist, he seems very miserable! Hasn't he sold any of his work? Or is it because you've stolen his spirit in your magic box? The picture you paint with your pen is lovely, it seems a wonderful place to be. Here in dismal green/brown England the power cuts have plunged us back ( forgive pun ) into the dark ages! I sit now at 11.00p.pm with a hurricane lamp and a sparky fire as my only light to write this letter. The parafin stinks! Phew! The food they eat there certainly sounds fascinatin', but no more bizarre than whats sometimes served up at Rose Croft I assure you! Though I must commend myself on a superb shepheard's pie tonight, shepheards being rare and quite expensive this time of year! The only wild creatures we see are mice! One just jumped out at me as I surprised the little devil making himslf a cheese and pickle snadwich, and he disappeared down a tiny flight of stairs under the sink. I would have followed bt the hurricane lamp was too big. O yeh? I'm still managing to survived without getting a cruddy job, much to my amazement, but funds are low. However I managed to scrape some pennies together to go to a concert by the Incredible String Band next week in London Town! Yipee! This time at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, a better venue than the 'Bert Hall as it's smaller and better acoustically. Do you hear much African music? You're amongst the roots of modern music there, Wow! Too much! choogle- oogle boogle bonk! I haven't done any big paintings on canvas for ages and I'm itching to do some or maybe it's fleas or somethin' ? Scrsatch! I'm doing pegs and wooden things mostly, fret work hobby art it shall be called. Lyne and Dinah are going to try and sell some at their shop. They are just trying to humour me I think! I'm fed up with the smell of this lamp now so going to hit the sack! Bunk! Happiness to you all in Elephant Land. Love Michael.

No comments: