Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Pitsea Primary School

Pitsea School opened as a Council school in 1909. I went there from 1953- 54, maybe a bit longer. Well, until Greenstead School opened around 54/5 which wasa lot closer - 10 minutes walk away from our house in Luncies Road in Basildon. I remember walking to Pitsea School on my own when I was 5 or 6, quite a walk for a young child barely out of toddling stage! I remember staying for lunch , the school dinners were horrible so my mother used to make weird Shipham's fish paste, Bloater paste sandwiches which were slightly better. Sometimes jam sandwiches if money was tight. Mrs. Ramsbottom was my teacher and from what I remember she was very nice and gave out prizes for good work or sitting up straight in class. I once got a lead soldier or a crossing keeper ? for something I had done.She read stories too and exciting ones by Enid Blyton about the Famous Five etc. It wouldn't happen today with what we now know of lead and it's poison content! What innocent times we used to live in. Pitsea wasa small village on the outskirts of Basildon back then but soon got engulfed in the new builds and road schemes and mostly obliterated. Just realised I have written about Pitsea School several times on this blog and descriptions all fairly similar so sorry for that. This photo is new though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I attended Pitsea Primary in the 60s. Lived on Byfletts, Vange. Fond memories of that school.